Welcome to our Home

This blog was created to help keep family members informed about happenings at the ol' homestead and those living there. I hope to enable you to see some of the changes taking place as well as activities and favorite books and movies.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Books I find interesting

I finished an interesting book today.  The title is Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy.  I pulled the book to fill a hold a couple of months ago.  I found it again last Friday on the shelf and checked it out.

Lenore Skenazy has been called "America's Worst Mother". She is a reporter and columnist.  Her 9-year old son asked her if he could prove he could travel by himself.  They live in New York City, so Lenore took her son to a department store and let him travel home by himself on the subway and a bus.

Lenore Skenazy wrote about this successful trip in her column.  People were outraged.  She received lots of email.  Lenore was also invited to appear on network shows.  The first one she was on ended up with her being attacked by both the host and a special guest "parenting expert".  She started a group called Free-Range Kids and wrote the book to explain her reasons for her parenting style.

No comments:

Post a Comment